If you're embarrassed by your spelling, need to ameliorate it for a better task, had a terrible experience at school, or your kids need assist — you're non alone.

How to Spell is here for you.

spelling lessons

How to Spell

spelling exercises spelling quizzes

How to Spell

spelling%2Bbooks

How to Spell

It'southward never too late to amend spelling. Spelling tin be learned.

How to Spell has been helping adults learn spelling for over 10 years. Joanne Rudling has been teaching spelling, literacy and English language for over twenty-five years. How to Spell and Joanne are here to help yous gain confidence in spelling then you lot tin can get the job and training yous desire, ameliorate your email communication, help your kids, and express yourself in social media comments.

Testimonials

Howdy Joanne, thank yous for the emails, they actually help keep me on track. (click hither to Subscribe for complimentary email lessons). I practise a little everyday and accept purchased your Spelling Rules Workbook, which is great. I am slowly just surely changing my deep fix belief of "I tin can't spell" to "my spelling is improving all the time". I am and then grateful for your emails website and book. Many thanks, Beccy, UK

Thank y'all for all your emails. I practise every day. I've but completed the GCSE English linguistic communication grade with a much improved grade. Your spelling course has developed my knowledge, skills and confidence with the English language language. Nigel H. UK (adult learner)

You lot might think spelling is crazy but the good news is in that location are rules, patterns and reasons why some words are spelled the way they are. So it's important to acquire the rules, notice the patterns, kickoff taking an interest in words, know the history, and gain confidence in your spelling. And and then you'll acquire to beloved it.

Spelling matters. Nosotros need to write emails, application forms, Facebook, Twitter, grade work, work reports, and helping your children. You lot need to be able to spell correctly to go your meaning across so people can sympathize you.

Using a expert dictionary and the spellchecker on the figurer tin help simply it won't aid with homophones (same sound, different spelling and pregnant: in that location, their, they're; to, too, two; been, edible bean.) Or silent messages.

Spelling Rules_ to improve spelling & confidence.png

This Spelling Rules course is for both British and American English users, especially native speakers, who experience embarrassed by their spelling, and haven't actually had to employ spelling much simply now considering of emails, social media, writing reports, etc., suddenly need to amend spelling for work, preparation, and to better job prospects.

NEW

Spelling Sounds and Patterns Course.png

Spelling Sounds and Patterns: to amend spelling, reading & pronunciation


Learning how voice communication sounds connect to spelling is one of the foundation blocks of learning to spell. Learning to spell well isn't about using one method. Information technology's a circuitous subject that needs diverse methods and approaches to learn it well.

You lot need to learn how sounds, letter patterns, history, structure of words, and rules are all continued and influence the spelling of words.

This course volition

Copy of Spelling Rules_ to improve spelling & confidence.png

How to Punctuate Spelling: to improve spelling & writing volition give you fifty-fifty more spelling knowledge and confidence to spell, write and get your meaning across.

This is platonic for both American & British English users who need to empathize and "chief" the tricky punctuation marks we put in spellings, particularly apostrophes.

How to Spell can help y'all improve your spelling so you can:
✓ Write confidently
✓ Ameliorate your chore prospects
✓ Be able to spell that perfect word that sums up how you feel - a word that will get you the job, an interview, your money back, your personality across, etc.

All-time SELLER

spelling+rules+workbook

Spelling Rules Workbook
a step-past-step guide to the rules of English language spelling


(suitable for British and American users)

Larn all about rules, such as drop the 'east', magic 'east' silent 'due east', 1:i:1 doubling upwards rule, al, el, le rule, calculation ly, y to i rules, -ck, -k, -ke rules, silent letter rules, prefix rules and much more than.

Learning spelling rules is important because they

1.  add together to your spelling knowledge
2.  explain why we take "strange" letter patterns
three.  assistance you understand why spelling is the style it is

For more information about this volume - click here

spelling strategies book

Spelling Strategies & Secrets: The essential how to spell guide

Spelling Strategies & Secrets is packed total of useful tips to assist you call back your spellings, and myth-busting facts to help you understand spelling.

It'south ideal for anyway frustrated with spelling, who needs to know how to remember spellings, and why spelling is the manner information technology is.

It'due south as well perfect for homeschoolers, teachers, and tutors to assistance you lot explicate those awkward questions almost spelling. It provides a useful guide to spelling systems to help teach spelling, and tips to assistance dyslexics.

English spelling

Improve your spelling past knowing the reasons why spelling is so weird and wonderful.

Two great ways to improve your spelling are knowing where words come from and understanding the history of why spelling is the way it is.

Your book The Reasons Why English language Spelling is so Weird and Wonderful is a real classic – it has taught me a lot – it should be in curriculums everywhere. Adam

spelling strategies

Want to know a underground nigh spelling?

Desire to remember spellings easily?

Want to know tricks that tin help you lot spell?

Watch the Spelling Strategies video at present.

Yous can learn these "tricks" in simply 30 minutes and you'll never struggle to remember an important spelling over again.

C6CA8136-F130-494B-AB89-071370FC42D3.jpg

How to Spell the 20 Most Commonly Misspelled Words
Workbook & Periodical

unnecessary, embarrassed, separately, definitely, argument, irrelevant, responsibilities, achievement, reference, particularly, occasional, committed, colleagues, liaison
These words are the most misspelled words made past native speakers according to the Oxford Dictionary, Oxford Academy Press. And the worse thing is they're often misspelled on job awarding forms.

Don't exist the ane who misspells these words! Learn to spell them in 30 days.

Suitable for British and American users.

How%2Bto%2BSpell.jpg

What people are saying.

Some reviews, feedback, testimonials

Groovy site, Joanne! Have really enjoyed reading it. We obviously recall along the same lines when it comes to pedagogy older students. Regards, Shireen (Spelling Essentials book by Shireen Shuster)

_20___BBC_Learning_English___Facebook.png

BBC Learning English have named Howtospell.co.uk the number one site for spelling: "Nosotros oft get asked questions about spelling and How to Spell.co.uk is a great site and videos…and fantastic games and quizzes."

I am so glad I found your site. I have been struggling all my life (I am 57). I just needed some help with my spelling and there you are. Thank you so much. I volition become there in the end. Annette

Hi Joanne...But wanted to say thanks for your blog. I stumbled across it the other day while searching for spelling resource for my adult learners, and I take found it so useful. Will definitely be rooting through your archives to incorporate your methods and tricks into my lessons. I love the videos too. They brand explanations so much easier. Cheers! Suzanne

I'thousand starting to relish writing and spelling cheers to you, it means the globe to me, to be able to do this. It'south not just for me but to set an case for my little daughter, I didn't have the opportunity when I was growing up so thank you ane million. I yet have a fair style to become but this is a start. N.B

I highly recommend this website. It'due south a no nonsense resource with clearly explained strategies for adults. I should as well add Joanne, who is responsible for the site, takes an active function in encouraging participants. Fifty-fifty later on a few days of using the strategies my spelling has measurably improved and I am starting to enjoy writing for the first time in my life. Matthew.

Thank yous so much for your help, I am 26 and born in this country and my spelling is really bad it holds me back from a lot of things because it tin can be embarrassing. So I started teaching myself... Thanks again, S

How-do-you-do Joanne, I just desire you lot to know how much I appreciate your site. I am a literacy instructor in Ontario, Canada. I have sent many of my adult learners to your site and I know they accept benefited quite a lot. Your videos are highly informative and help to combat the stigma fastened to poor spelling.

Most poor spellers I accept worked with were never taught effective strategies for spelling when they were in school. They frequently feel they are just slow or stupid, which is rarely the case. It's exciting for them when they first learning hard words, and their success encourages them to piece of work even harder. Keep up the slap-up work! Pamela Friedrich, Grooming and Learning Middle of Renfrew County

Dearest Joanne

I've long wanted to write to you virtually your emails and courses. They're a big role of why my own spelling and writing has so much improved recently. I discover them short and to the point only still well explained and easy to follow. And so all I really have to say is a huge thanks from the bottom of my middle for all your extraordinary assistance, and Please go along doing them, their bear on is far and wide. You tin't even imagine what it ways, being able to write without asking someone to assist me is like giving someone another run a risk!!

Again, give thanks you then much for everything you do you lot're a true hero!

M, U.s.a.

For free email lessons click on the Subscribe link above.

2014-LEA_Disc-BestWebsite-Nominated.jpg

How to Spell nominated all-time English language Language Website by Macmillan Dictionary in 2014, 2013 & 2012

Desire to know the pronunciation of a word in British or American?
Then get to Macmillan Dictionaries